Permanent Resident

PR Card-Apply/Renew/Renounce

Permanent residents must have a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat. Without one, you may not be able to board.


  • be resident in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years.
  • submit your application in Canada.


Canadian Citizen

Naturalized Canadian Citizen


To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, you must:

  • be a permanent resident
  • have lived in Canada for 3 years (1095 days) out of the last 5 years
  • have filed your taxes, in Canada for at least 3 years during the 5 years right before the date you apply,
  • Age 18 to 54: meet the language requirement (CLB 4 in listening and speaking)
  • Age 18 to 54: pass the citizenship test